Research and Project Assistant
The Odysseus Academic Network is seeking to recruit a young graduate or professional with a legal background, to fill a remunerated traineeship position as Research and Project Assistant for the OMNIA project. The position will be based in Brussels at the Institute for European Studies of the Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB) and is remunerated with a salary of €783 per month on the basis of a contract for vocational training under Belgian law. As Odysseus is an academic network, applicants interested in academia are strongly encouraged to apply.
The OMNIA traineeship is due to start in mid-September 2018 (exact date to be defined with the selected candidate), lasting for 6 months. The trainee will work as part of the OMNIA Project Team, consisting of four people in total. More information on the activities involved in the project can be found here.
The Research and Project Assistant’s role involves the following tasks:
- Primarily supporting the preparation of an e-learning module on labour migration in EU law in close cooperation with Prof. Philippe DE BRUYCKER
- Help to manage the Network’s social media accounts in collaboration with the Communication and Research Assistant;
- Drafting and disseminating information and communications material relevant to the activities of the Network;
- Any other task related to the implementation of the project.
Applicants should possess the following qualifications:
- Master degree in (EU) law (other disciplines such as political science, international relations, European studies will NOT be considered) with excellent marks;
- Preferably knowledge of or strong interest in EU law on immigration and asylum;
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English. Proficiency in French is an asset;
- Ability to draft clearly and quickly legal texts;
- Ability to be proactive, plan and work autonomously;
- Ability to imagine interactive elements part of an e-learning module.
What does the Odysseus Network offer during a traineeship?
- A first valuable professional experience during which you will accomplish diverse tasks with a certain autonomy and under weekly supervision in a small multinational team;
- Monitoring of developments in EU migration and asylum law regarding legislation, case law and policy;
- Learn with some help provided by the team how to update a website and run WordPress;
- Liaise with the members of the Odysseus Network who are among the best academics specialised on EU Migration and Asylum Law in Europe;
- Live and work in the capital of Europe while benefiting from all facilities offered by the ULB (libraries, restaurant, sport, medical service, etc).
- Participate for free in events organised by the Odysseus Network (the annual conference or the Summer School in July), even after the period of your traineeship!
- Possibility to follow the course of Philippe De Bruycker on EU Migration and Asylum Law if your traineeship takes place during the concerned semester;
- Supervision to prepare a legal paper for publication in a scientific journal, if you wish to do so outside working hours;
- For high academic performers (meaning among the 10 to 15% of the best students having the highest results during most of your studies), help to prepare a project for a PhD by defining a subject and support as much as possible to find funding.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their application before Friday 24 August 2018, midnight CET (UTC +1). To apply, please fill in this form.
Should you require any further information about the traineeship and the selection process, you may contact our current trainees at firstname.lastname@example.org, knowing however that they will not respond immediately due to the holidays period.