EVENING DEBATES, VISITS & NETWORKING
Evening Debates & other events
In addition to the opening session and some cocktails, a series of optional activities are organised during the summer school on the campus of the ULB or in the premises of the European institutions;
- A debate on the progress of discussions about the New Migration & Asylum Pact;
- A specific debate about the links between EU migration and asylum law and the crisis of the Covid virus;
- Evenings debates based on the most recent (jurisprudential) news with speakers ranging from lawyers engaged in cases before the European Court of Human Rights or the Court of Justice of the EU, Members of the European Parliament, judges, high officials of EU institutions, Justice & Home Affairs advisers of Member States’ Permanent Representations, as well as representatives of international organisation and NGOs;
- A “Who is who?” session for socialisation between the participants of the summer school, including the online participants!
- Morning sessions with presentations of PhD projects in the framework of the PhD seminar;
- A trip to the Red Star Line Museum in Antwerp dedicated to the emigration of Europeans to the United states on Saturday 3 July.
As other events will be added to the program over time, you are invited to consult our website for the most recent information. Persons registered to the summer school will be kept informed via email.
Visits to the European Institutions
Staying in the capital of the European Union is a unique opportunity to discover the EU institutions and to meet high-level officials who come to lecture in the summer school. Visits to the European Parliament, the Commission and the Council of Ministers will be organised by the Odysseus Network depending upon the sanitary situation. Participants may also take an opportunity to spend an evening in the heart of the European quarter at Place du Luxembourg, where people working in EU institutions famously go for an after-work drink.
An evening cocktail will be organised during the summer school where people working for the EU Institutions (European Parliament, Commission, Council, Agencies), International Organisations (UNHCR, IOM, ICMPD, etc.), NGOs (ECRE, JRS-Europe, etc.), think tanks (MPG, MPI, etc.) and consultancy companies are invited to give the participants of the summer school the opportunity to make contacts that could help them to find a traineeship or a job.