Lilian Tsourdi is an Assistant Professor of European Union Law and Dutch Research Council grantee at the Law Faculty of Maastricht University, as well as a visiting professor at Sciences Po Paris/Paris School for International Affairs. Lilian was previously a Departmental Lecturer in International Human Rights and Refugee Law at the Refugee Studies Centre of the University of Oxford, a Max Weber Fellow at the Law Faculty of the European University Institute (EUI) in Florence; a researcher at the Migration Policy Centre of the EUI, the Institute for European Studies of the Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB), and the Centre Charles De Visscher for International and European Law of UC Louvain; as well as an advisor for a Member of the European Parliament. She obtained her PhD from the Law Faculty and the Institute for European Studies of the ULB (December 2016).
Lilian’s expertise lies in EU and Public International Law with a focus on fundamental rights, asylum and migration. She received two prestigious grants, a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship by the European Commission and a VENI grant by the Dutch Research Council for her new research line on EU financial governance.
Lilian regularly undertakes consultancy for EU institutions and international and non-governmental organisations, and has contributed to the EASO Training Curriculum as a member of the EASO Reference Group on behalf of the Odysseus Academic Network. Upon invitation, she has given numerous lectures and policy presentations (e.g. EUI, NYU, KU Leuven, International Association of Refugee Law judges, European Commission Contact Group Meeting, European Parliament, UNHCR Global Consultations).
Edited collective volumes
- (with P. De Bruycker) (eds), Research Handbook on EU Migration and Asylum Law (Edward Elgar, forthcoming 2020)
- (with J.P. Gaucci and M. Giuffré) (eds), Exploring the boundaries of refugee law: current protection challenges (Brill/Martinus Nijhoff 2015)
Edited special issues in peer-reviewed journals
- (with D. Thym) (eds), Special Issue: ‘Searching for Solidarity in EU Asylum and Border Policies’, Maastricht Journal of European and Comparative Law (2017)
- (with P. De Bruycker) (eds), Special Issue: ‘The Challenge of Detention to Refugee Protection’ (2016) 35(1) Refugee Survey Quarterly
Articles in peer-reviewed journals
- ‘Solidarity at Work? The Prevalence of Emergency-driven Solidarity in the Administrative Governance of the Common European Asylum System’ (2017) 24 Maastricht Journal of European and Comparative Law
- (with D. Thym), ‘Searching for Solidarity in the EU Asylum and Border Policies: Constitutional and Operational Dimensions (2017) 24 Maastricht Journal of European and Comparative Law
- ‘Bottom-up Salvation? From Practical Cooperation Towards Joint Implementation Through the European Asylum Support Office’ (2016) 1(3) European Papers 997
- ‘Asylum Detention in EU Law: Falling between Two Stools?’ (2016) 35(1) Refugee Survey Quarterly 7
- (with P. De Bruycker), ‘The Challenge of Asylum Detention to Refugee Protection’, 35(1) Refugee Survey Quarterly 1
- ‘Reception conditions for asylum seekers in the EU: towards the prevalence of human dignity’ (2015) 29(1) Journal of Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Law 9
- (with L. Leboeuf), ‘Towards a Re-Definition of Persecution? Assessing the Potential Impact of Y and Z’ (2013) 13(2) Human Rights Law Review 402
- ‘What Role for the Court of Justice of the EU in the Development of a European Asylum Policy? The Case of Loss and Denial of International Protection in the EU’ (2012) 2/3, Tijdschrift voor Bestuurswetenschappen en Publiekrecht 212
- (with P. McDonough), ‘The “Other” Greek Crisis: Asylum and EU Solidarity’ (2012) 31(4) Refugee Survey Quarterly 67