130, Prof.Tsvetan Lazarov blvd, office 9,
1582 Sofia, Bulgaria
Tel. : (359) 888 401 489
Fax : (359) 2 879 32 80
Dr. Valeria Ilareva is a lawyer specialised in European Immigration and Asylum Law and Free movement of European citizens. She is member of the Sofia Bar Association as a practicing human rights lawyer in Bulgaria.
She holds a PhD in ‘International Migration and Social Integration’ and ‘International Law’ from the University Complutense of Madrid and the University of Sofia.
From 2002 until 2013 she has been the coordinator of the Legal Clinic for Refugees and Immigrants in Bulgaria where she has served as a trainer and a supervising lawyer in the work with students providing free legal aid to foreign nationals and stateless persons.
In 2013 she founded the Foundation for Access to Rights (FAR) in Bulgaria and serves as its head lawyer and senior researcher.
As a practicing lawyer in Bulgaria, Valeria ILAREVA has achieved strategic litigation precedents in the field of access to the asylum procedure, immigration detention (e.g., the case of Kadzoev C-357/09 PPU), respect for the right to private and family life of immigrants, identification of vulnerable asylum seekers, etc.
Dr. Valeria ILAREVA has been involved in the Odysseus Network since 2007 when she was the Coordinator for Bulgaria in its project “Conformity Checking of Measures of Member States to Transpose Directives in the Sector of Asylum and Immigration”, assigned by the European Commission. Ever since then, Dr. ILAREVA has been the Bulgarian member of the Odysseus Network in a number of its projects such as inter alia the projects PROTECT ABLE, MADE REAL, CONTENTION, REDIAL, etc.
Dr. Valeria ILAREVA’s most important publications include:
- Undocumented Immigrants and Their Access to Fundamental Human Rights, (Scholars’ Press 2013).
- Transposition in Bulgaria of the Blue Card Directive, book chapter in: The Blue Card Directive: Central Themes, Problem Issues, and Implementation in Selected Member States, Carolus GRÜTERS, Tineke STRIK (eds.) (WLP, 2013)
- Migration Control and the Right to Family Life, in: Sociological Problems, issue 1-2 (2012), Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
- Human Trafficking and Protection for its Victims under European Law, in: European Migration and Asylum Policies: Coherence or Contradiction, pp.189-198, Cristina GORTÁZAR, Barbara SEGAERT, Christiane TIMMERMAN (eds.) (Bruylant 2012)
- Arbitrariness regarding Access to the Asylum Procedure in Bulgaria, Fahamu Refugee Legal Aid Newsletter, February 2012 issue
- In Search for the Right Balance for an Effective Immigration Policy. Presentation and Comments on the Judgment of the Court of Justice of the European Union in the El Dridi Case C-61/11 PPU, European Law Review, Issue 1 (2011)
- Regularization of Undocumented Immigrants, Bulgarian Journal of International Law, Issue 1 (2011)
- Solitary Confinement of Immigration Detainees, Silesian Journal of Legal Studies, Vol.2/2010, pp.45-57
- Имиграционното задържане в международното право и практика, сп. Правата на човека, Фондация „Български адвокати за правата на човека”, бр.1/2008, стр.5-38 (journal Human Rights published by the Bulgarian Lawyers for Human Rights Foundation)
- “Immigration Detention in International Law and Practice. In search of solutions to the challenges faced in Bulgaria”, Statewatch, 2008
- Bulgaria’s Treatment of Asylum Seekers, Forced Migration Review, issue 29, December 2007, page 60-61